Sunday, August 19, 2007

Centennial Park, Nashville

This seems like a nice comparison set to begin with.




The top picture shows Emily's mother feeding the ducks in Nashville's Centennial Park; the bottom picture shows Emily feeding ducks (same pond, different ducks).* Centennial Park is home to Nashville's Parthenon and is almost always a stop on trips to Nashville, where Emily's grandfather, uncle, aunt and cousin still live.

*You might also notice the great shoes that Emily's dad is wearing in the bottom photo.

6 comments:

Mark Scroggins said...

Congrats on the new blog! Centennial Park is one of my favorite places: only in the Tennessee would they come up with a project as basically weird as a full-sized copy of the Parthenon, & pursue it so far as to actually set the 100-ft statue of Athena up inside.

Unknown said...

yes, yes, yes. I remember that moment well. Like it is the moment you chased the pigeons at Lincoln Park Zoo. Of course, much later on you indulged your silly father and sat for portraits on Shakespeare's lap.

Emily said...

Mark -- have you ever seen the pictures of the original layout of the park? They built a pyramid for Memphis ... only the Parthenon has survived, but it was always, always a favorite place to go as a kid. And on Bradley's first trip to Nashville to meet the relatives, I hauled him to the parthenon.

Okay, he went willingly.

Emily said...

And I have to find that picture on the Shakespeare statue. It's around somewhere. I'll get that one on eventually.

Anonymous said...

OMG, TISC (This is so cool!) Love your cartoon selves. I have a scanner, too and now I have a project for the retirement years! Just kidding. However, I do have a family portrait of the Swedish relatives that might be of interest. I'll see if I can do that tonight.

Bradley said...

The Swedish relatives would be awesome. Thanks!